Friday 8 February 2013

Articles, Articles, Articles...

Dilemmas, Challenges, and Opportunities

This article had me thinking about a lot of things concerning assistive tech devices that I had not considered or thought of before.  I had not thought of the users of the devices abandoning them.  I naively thought that if you were lucky enough to have access to some assistive technology then you would use it.  The option of abandoning a device just didn't factor into my understanding of assistive technology, but after reading the article I can see why some people do abandon their assistive technology.  The author goes into more detail about why individuals abandon their technology, but in a nutshell, people abandon their devices because they either do not meet the individual's needs, wants or expectations.

I agree with the author that it is necessary to match an individual with assistive technology that will enhance the individual's capabilities and quality of life.  So therefore, if a device is well matched to the user, the better chance there is that the device will be used successfully and not abandoned.  The author suggests that the three factors that will influence the success of assistive technology are the Milieu(environment/settings), Personality, and the Technology itself. 

When I first started this assistive technology journey my outlook was one of, "Oh wow!  Isn't that great!  Isn't that neat!  How cool is that?"  I was looking at it from non-disabled point of view without imagining what life can be like to have to rely on a piece of technology for everyday activities.  I did not think how using a piece of assistive technology would point out to the world that you are different.  This would be harder for those people who have had life altering accidents or illnesses and end up with their "two lives" as the author describes, what life was like before the life altering event and what life is after the event.
What I've learned from this article is that before matching assistive technology to an individual we need to ask the right questions and remember the MPT model.         



"So Much Potential in Reading!"  
 Developing Meaningful Literacy Routines for Students With Multiple Disorders
I think sometimes we forget how big a part literacy plays in our lives and how much literacy matters.  It should not matter any less to those who have multiple disabilities.  One only has to stop and think for a minute about all that literacy allows individuals access to, like:  speech, language, communication, accessing information from the world, access to independence and employment, and access to leisure.  

I agree with the authors of this article who state that although some people with multiple disabilities may not become proficient readers it is our duty as educators to provide the necessary instruction so that those with multiple disabilities can reach the highest level they can achieve.  As a former Reading Recovery teacher I am familiar with the assessments used to determine what literacy level a student is at.  Looking at those assessments now through an assistive technology lense, I can see how those tests would need to be modified to allow access to those with multiple disabilities.  

I liked how the authors included their web resources.  I am familiar with tumblebooks, the other resources were new to me.  Another web resource that I have tried for creating your own stories is called storybird.com.  I also found it useful that the authors included three literacy lesson plans for three individuals with differing needs.  Sometimes having an example to follow is just what you need to get you started.  I think the BIG thing we need to remember as educators is not to assume what a student can or cannot do.  Regardless of disability, we need to find out all that our students actually do know and teach accordingly.




Pardon the Interruption
Enhancing Communication Skills for Students With Intellectual Disability
Now that I have read the article, I get the title!  This article spoke about using a student's natural motivation and rewards to boost necessary communication skills using a method known as BCIS (Behaviour Chain Interruption Strategy).  BCIS is basically taking a task that is very routine for a student and interrupting that task so that the student is forced to put their wants or needs into words and to communicate their wants and needs.  It turns out the natural desire a person has to complete a routine task is highly motivational to the individual.  When their routine is interrupted, the mild distress that is caused by the interruption motivates the person to ask for what they need or to ask for help.  Some of the benefits of BCIS is that it can take place anywhere, in the home, school, or community.  

When the article talked about breaking down the task analysis of a routine task it reminded me of the task analysis' that we learned about in the summer.  While the task analysis that we discussed and attempted had to do with executive functioning, the task analysis required for BCIS, would be a little bit easier I think.  Instead of trying to list all the things your brain has to do to complete a task with executive functioning, when doing a task analysis, one is looking at the steps to complete a simple task, like the steps it takes to pour juice or make a peanut butter and jam sandwich.  The article made me think of the first video in my Tango blog.  The video shows a boy eating ice cream and the parents will not give him more ice cream until he uses his Tango (AAC device) to ask for more ice cream.  

BCIS requires the teacher to use prompts at the moment of disruption in the task routine to get the student to illicit the previously decided upon appropriate communication goal for the student.   As with any prompting strategy, the goal is for the student to eventually use  the desired form of communication without the prompt and to use the desired communication goal in other situations.   I think BCIS  is  user friendly and environment friendly when trying to teach and improve communication skills with students who have  range of disabilities.   Come to think of it, I have even used a very basic model of BCIS with my own children at home!  With holding something until they said please! 


Key Concepts 
for Using Augmentative Communication 
with Children Who Have 
Complex Communication Needs

What I really liked about this article was its ease of reading.  The author, Linda J. Burkhart, uses sub-headings and bullets to make her article very reader friendly.  This article hit close to home.  I have a nephew who was born in 1989, and is now 24.  When he was about 18 months old, my sister was noticing that he was different, especially how he communicated.  The next 3 years consisted of many trips to the developmental clinic at the IWK and eventually placement in a daycare that specialized in children with developmental delays.  Many years later, when he was in late elementary he was finally diagnosed with ASD, (Asperger's).  

When my nephew was between the ages of 18 months and 4 he communicated through gestures and screaming.  It was a challenging time for our family, especially my sister, because we knew he was trying to communicate, but we didn't share the same language.  Due to the fact that it took so long to get a diagnosis, he did not receive any additional support, aside from resource, when he was in school.  Twenty-four years later, with the prevalence of ASD in our society, children are apt to get diagnosed earlier and have a better chance of getting support or at least augmentative communication in the public school system.  

Burkhart, in her article details how we can support students with complex communication needs.  I think her article should be a must read for teachers.  My nephew received augmentative communication when he was in daycare, and by the time he reached grade primary he could speak.  However, he still experienced other complex communication issues and it was a lot of trial and error for his teachers each year to understand how best to communicate with him.  I wonder now what his public school experience would have been like if he had had access to augmentative communication

      

4 comments:

  1. Hi Nancy, great presentation today! Although the Tango system seems to be very useful for students, I still think I am leaning towards the use of the apps provided by an iPad because of the cost of the Tango.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tremendous feedback on the articles Nancy! I enjoyed your reflections and your perspectives. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for introducing me to storybird.com. I love the idea of writing stories that can be shared with others. It is a good alternative to Book Creator ($4.99) as one can log in for free. Since the school I currently work at only has one iPad, I am always looking for free programs/software that my students can access from a computer. My question to you Nancy is: Can students access this site from school? It does say on the site that anybody under the age of 18 should have a parent/guardian review the Agreement using the program. I am just worried that the Board will not allow students to use this site because their work can be viewed by anyone.

    ReplyDelete