Monday 11 February 2013

Online Collaboration February 9th

I thoroughly enjoyed Saturday's online class using Blackboard Collaborate.  It was so nice to be able to attend class while I sat with my computer, in the comfort of my bed, while still in my pjs, drinking a cup of hot tea.  I vote for holding our last three classes online as well.  Saturday's class was the first time I have had to present something using that kind of online forum.  On the one hand it was great, no standing in front of people and feeling nervous and on display.  However, presenting online felt a little bit odd as well.  I was somewhat relaxed because I was in my pajamas in bed, but when I was actually talking and presenting it felt weird not to have voices interacting with me.  I didn't know when to pause and it was hard to tell if I was going too fast.  It felt odd to be talking and at the same time trying to read what people were writing on the screen.  But all in all, it was a pretty nifty experience.  What's kind of funny actually is that I posted on facebook that I had attended class on "Stormy Saturday" and people were shocked, thinking I had to go out to class somewhere.  People ended up being more shocked that we held the class online, many commenting at how cool that was.

So after the online portion of our Saturday class I tucked in and began to watch Barb's Webinars.  The first one I watched was on using the iPod, iPad, and iPhone to enhance fine motor skills.  I found this webinar especially interesting because of my background in elementary school.  As a former primary teacher I know how important it is for students to be able to form letters properly and as the mother of three young children, one of who is 3 1/2, I am ever conscious of which of his hands is becoming dominant and how he is holding his pencils and crayons.  As a grade five teacher, I have seen those students who have poor penmanship and I have given up at that point in thinking I could change their writing style.  The webinar confirmed that for me when the presenters said that by grade four and five remedial handwriting is not appropriate, as a student's writing format has become too ingrained and is very difficult to change.  So at the grade four or five level, as teachers we should not be looking at remedial action for these students, but we should be looking at compensatory methods (keyboarding).  I also found it interesting when the presenters clarified that the use of an iPad for a fine motor skills remedial program is only ONE part of the program, it is not the be all and end all.  We still need to ask ourselves, "What is the goal for this student?"

Of the apps that were demonstrated during this webinar, these are my top 3 picks:


Bugs and Buttons
This was a great app for learning how to pinch the index finger and the thumb together.  An important skill for creating the proper pencil grip.  I am sure the kids would love the bug aspect of this app, as a grown up it kind of grossed me out.  That is always a good indicator of whether or not kids will like it.  I think that the fact that there are different levels to the game is important as well.  The levels will keep kids entertained and challenged.  The app moves from bugs that stay still, to bugs that are on the move.


I loved this app!  I liked how you could customize it and add the student's name.  I also loved how you could change the type of substance the dtudent wrote with and the sound effects that the different products made.  I have downloaded this app for my three year old to use to practice his name and alphabet.

 WritePad
The third app that blew my mind was WritePad.  Being able to write on the iPad screen with your finger or stylus and have it converted into typed text!  How cool is that!  I immediately thought of all those kids in elementary school who have slow keyboarding skills or fine motor issues!  And to boot, the handwriting doesn't have to be all that neat!    
 
The second webinar I chose to watch was the top free apps for education.  It still astonishes me at how many apps there are out there that are so great and free, free, free!  The iPad itself has great accessibilty options that come pre-loaded, as well as many other apps like Notes.  I had the opportunity to use the Notes app for the first time when I attended the FETC conference a couple of weeks ago.  I usually take my MacBook with me, but I decided to just take my husband's iPad.  It was a good opportunity for me to really explore what the iPad is capable of!  I was not disappointed!  Even though I can use his iPad whenever I want...I now kind of want my own...sssshhhh!  I would love to have one in my classroom.  My principal keeps asking me what technology I would like in my classroom and I keep saying...an iPad...but he has yet to deliver.  I'm still hopeful.  Take a look at the top three apps I chose from this webinar and you will see why you want an iPad in your classroom too!

Dragon Dictation
If you haven't heard of this one, you must have been in cave for a while!  This is a great app that lets you speak to your iPad and the iPad converts what you say to text.  Great for those students for those students who have written output issues, but have their executive functioning intact and are articulate.  The app will read aloud what you have written and you can then email what you have written.  This app allows the user to bypass the use of a keyboard.


http://macapper.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Screen-shot-2010-07-24-at-11.47.46-PM.png 

Science 360
After viewing this app in the webinar I can't wait to download it and try it out in my classroom.  This app has a bank of science videos on a  variety of topics.  You can simply use your finger to scroll through the videos until you come across one that matches your needs.  This app allows the student to learn non fiction material without relying on their reading skills to be able to access the information.  This app would be highly motivational and would also be good for those students who need enrichment.
http://eraccommons.ca/mobileapps/files/2012/03/TAP08.apps_feat.science360-420-100.jpg



Math Tappers  

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEghPAsGohX4bOEw5zalfyivR-wJ8AEmEXDhgLF1_S56dmW9FpzFR9oCOjw6nHZtB-uDXOgl7l28_YVFPyxn8S2dMpUSOSQ1SrWQLJu4WjFzz-4QExm-dpyc9lJ8NYVfJIBRIxyOYOCaVsk/s200/MathTappers-Find-Sums-icon.jpg 

This app has a game called Find Sums that is designed to help learners make sense of addition (and subtraction as a related operation), and then to support them in developing accuracy and improving their speed.  Great use of ten frames which relates to how the students are learning in the classroom.  Other math strands covered by this app include Fraction Estimation and Clock Master.  Highly motivational and relates well to the classroom. 

       

The third webinar that I viewed was called Apps in Action for Communication Disorders.  In this webinar apps for complex communication issues were explained and reviewed, apps for articulation and speech were reviewed, and apps for receptive language were reviewed.  This webinar really connected me to vaailbale technology for those students who have complex communication disorders.  This webinar would go along quite well with Linda J. Burkhart's article on Key Concepts of Complex Communication Disorders.  An interesting activity would be to match apps to the ideas she presents in her article, keeping in mind that communication is about the individual, not the tool or technology.  The top three apps I chose from this webinar are detailed below. 

The first app I chose was Pictello.  Pictello is an app that is somewhat similar to a power point.  It could be used to create social stories that could be used by an individual or the whole class.  This app would be especially useful for those students who are diagnosed ASD.  When I think of whole class application I am thinking of those primary students for who school is a completely new experience.  Actual pictures of places around the school could be imported and stories could include:  What happens during a fire drill, How do I get to music class, What happens during lunch, My teacher is absent, and the list could go on and on.  Students could view these on an LCD or individuals could review these stories in preparation for the upcoming event.  

http://itouchforspecialneeds.pbworks.com/f/1297893827/pictello.png 



The second app I chose is Proloquo2goAt almost $200 I am sure you are thinking that is an expensive app, but when we look at what the app can do and look at other devices that we can  compare it too, Proloquo2go is well worth the cost.  The app has built in images that the user can tap.  Once tapped, the word or sentence will appear at the top of the screen and the iPad can then read the word or sentence aloud.  You can build individualized layered boards to meet the communication needs of the user.  It is a portable and affordable AAC device.

http://a1.mzstatic.com/us/r1000/096/Purple/v4/c6/2b/53/c62b53de-78ae-2522-bfff-40ba63c06afc/mzl.ihepawgn.175x175-75.jpg 



The third app that I chose is called Speech Tutor.  As a classroom teacher I would probably not use this app, but I am sure a speech language pathologist would get great use out of it.  I might even use it with my daughter who is having some difficulty shaping her mouth appropriately in order to articulate some words correctly.  Speech Tutor shows how your mouth moves when you say specific sounds in 3D!  You can look at a front or side view of the mouth and you can set the speaking rate for slow, medium, or fast.  It has good quality sound and you can also see the air flow that comes from your mouth when you speak specific words.  It's only $9.99 - not bad for an app this cool!

http://ispeakapp.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Speech-Tutor.jpg 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your review of last Saturday's class from home. Sitting in bed still in my pjs was great, but I did feel awkward presenting my project as well. I was t sure why- I don't have 20 sets if eyes staring at me, making me self conscious. However, after reading your reflection I realized what made me nervous was the fact that I also didn't have 20 heads nodding in understanding (optimistically thinking), nor did I have the comforting smiles. Although we are a society that is sharing information through various forms of technology, we still

    ReplyDelete